Spring is officially just days away! The days are getting longer; I’ve noticed that it is light till 7 o’clock now! The temperatures are creeping above zero, which means the snow is quickly melting. With all this happening you are probably thinking that you should be getting ready for gardening season, but what should you be doing right now?
- Planning – the winter/early spring is the best time to plan your garden. Laying out any new gardens, designing any new spaces, this is the time to do it. This way you have a jump start on calling contractors and getting into the garden centers to get quotes on materials!
- Starting seeds – while you don’t want to plant outside until the risk of frost has passed, many seeds have a long time before they reach maturity and starting them inside will give them a jumpstart before you plant them outdoors. Beware though, you don’t want to start your seeds too early as the plants will become spindly and may not do as well as you had hoped!
- Shopping for summer bulbs – there are number of bulbs you plant in the spring, think Dahlias, Canna Lilies and Gladiolus! These bulbs are popping up in the stores now and shopping early will ensure you get the best selection
- This is the time to prune Wisteria if you haven’t done so!!!
- Speaking of pruning, it’s not a bad idea to take a walk through the garden and prune any damaged or diseased branches in any trees and shrubs around your property. Unfortunately a lot of damage can happen over the winter and it is a good idea to get rid of this damage as soon as possible.
It won’t be long now till we can get our hands into the garden and start getting dirty. Until then, start planning and pruning!!! Your garden will thank you! 🙂